Reader Advisory

Every review I write on this blog, is my opinion and or point of view. I do not claim rights to any book or author I write about. Thanks for viewing!

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Books that stand out Part 2

Books that stand out Part 2
and I consider Must Reads!


Article 5 (Article 5) Book 1
by Kristen Simmons


New York, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C., have been abandoned.

The Bill of Rights has been revoked, and replaced with the Moral Statutes.

There are no more police—instead, there are soldiers. There are no more fines for bad behavior—instead, there are arrests, trials, and maybe worse. People who get arrested usually don't come back.

Seventeen-year-old Ember Miller is old enough to remember that things weren't always this way. Living with her rebellious single mother, it's hard for her to forget that people weren't always arrested for reading the wrong books or staying out after dark. It's hard to forget that life in the United States used to be different.

Ember has perfected the art of keeping a low profile. She knows how to get the things she needs, like food stamps and hand-me-down clothes, and how to pass the random home inspections by the military. Her life is as close to peaceful as circumstances allow.

That is, until her mother is arrested for noncompliance with Article 5 of the Moral Statutes. And one of the arresting officers is none other than Chase Jennings—the only boy Ember has ever loved.
~My Review~
I overall liked this book, I was disturbed throughout probably half the parts. I loved the Hunger Games, and this one is similar. Maybe a more modern cross between 1984 and Hunger Games...That being said, I can't guarantee that lovers of HG will love this. It had a completely different feel, more desperate if you can imagine. 
The situations Ember and Chase get into are so intense that many times I though they wouldn't come through it. I was confused by a few things because Ember had flashbacks, which helped explain, but at times I had to remind myself that it will be explained and just to keep reading. It was morbid yet intriguing, I literally couldn't put it down, and was sucked into the horrible reality of Article 5. 
 I hope this never becomes a reality for us!  I give this book 4 stars.

The Lemonade Ripple
by Paul Reichert
Goodreads    Amazon.com

When Caroline watches her disabled friend Shannon
struggling with an old, rusty, squeaking, and
wobbling wheelchair, she decides to use her grandmother’s
secret recipe to make and sell lemonade
to raise money for a brand-new wheelchair. When
the neighborhood kids see Caroline trying to
help, they choose to pitch in, too. 
Some kids look
for spare change, while others start a carwash.
Seeing the difference all the children make inspires
Caroline’s grandmother to organize a sponsored
paddle race down the river, which gets them
enough money to buy Shannon the best new
wheelchair available. This inspiring book engages kids in charity and
shows them the value of helping others in fun and
creative ways. Like the ripples made in a river, one
act of kindness can ripple out through the community
and make a real impact on a person’s life. Proceeds
from the sale of The Lemonade Ripple benefit the Foundation for Community Betterment.
 ~My Review~
This is a children's book and I found it when I was putting books away at the library where I work.  I usually only post YA and Adult books on here, but this one I believe needs special mention.  I thought this book was super sweet! I think every child and parent should read this! I know there are many ways to teach kids how to help others, and this one is perfect.  I actually had tears in my eyes when I was reading, not just because the girl in the book was so sweet, but the whole idea behind the book.  The entire town got behind this cause for the little girl, and truly if everyone thought this way, the world would be a different place.  
Even if you don't have young children ( I do not) you should read this!  I give this book 5 stars.

Red-Headed Stepchild (Sabina Kane) Book 1
by Jaye Wells


A USA Today Bestseller!

In a world where being of mixed-blood is a major liability, Sabina Kane has the only profession fit for an outcast: assassin. But, her latest mission threatens the fragile peace between the vampire and mage races and Sabina must scramble to figure out which side she's on. She's never brought her work home with her---until now.

This time, it's personal.

 ~My Review~
I really like this new spin on Vampires! I love the world that Jaye has created, and from the beginning I like Sabina. I was intrigued when a demon shows up out of no where, then the humor of every thing was a perfect addition to the seriousness of Sabina's life and profession. I was just as upset as Sabina when she was trying to figure out who to trust, and what to do. 
Vampire books have been done quite a bit, and I still love reading them, but this one did not feel over done. In fact it was a breath of fresh air for a vampire book lover like me. I give this a definite 5 Star rating!  

Silver Tongued Devil (Sabina Kane) Book 4
by Jaye Wells


Now that the threat of war has passed, Sabina Kane is ready to focus on the future. Her relationship with Adam Lazarus is getting stronger and she's helping her sister, Maisie, overcome the trauma of her captivity in New Orleans. Even Giguhl is managing to stay out of trouble thanks to the arrival of Pussy Willow and his new roller derby team. But as much as Sabina wants to feel hopeful about the future, part of her doesn't trust that peace is possible.

Her suspicions are confirmed when a string of sadistic murders threaten to stall treaty negotiations between the mages and the vampires. Sabina pitches in to find the killer, but her investigation soon leads her down dark paths that have her questioning everyone she thought she could trust. And the closer she gets to the killer, the more Sabina begins to suspect this is one foe she may not be able to kill.

~My Review~
Another fantastic book by Jaye Wells. This is the 4th book and I have enjoyed this series, but this book is by far the best of them! I am anxious because the next book in the series is the last. Each book so far has been wonderful, each it's own roller coaster ride.  I was awed by the story line in this book, Sabina is growing and making the story have even more depth, which I guess didn't think could be done.  I was a bit annoyed by Adam multiple times, but he is amazing also sometimes the man just forgets how to be well, a man. Mr. Giggles is hilarious. 
This is a wonderful Urban Fantasy, every one who loves reading paranormal will love this!  I give this book 5 stars.

The 500
by Mathew Quirk
Mike Ford is a former con artist who's been plucked from his Harvard Law School classroom to be an associate at The Davies Group, Washington's most high-powered and well-respected strategic consulting firm. Their specialty: pulling strings and peddling influence for the five hundred most powerful people inside the Beltway, the men and women who really run Washington -- and by extension the country, and the world.

The namesake of the firm, Henry Davies, knows everyone who matters; more importantly, he knows their secrets. Davies' experience goes back 40 years -- he worked for Lyndon Johnson, jumped shipped to Nixon, then put out his own shingle as the Hill's most cut-throat and expensive fixer. Now he's looking for a protégé to tackle his most high-stakes deal yet, and Mike fits the bill.

Quickly pulled into a seductive, dangerous web of power and corruption, Mike struggles to find his way out. But how do you save your soul when you've made a deal with the devil?
 ~My Review~
I don't normally read action/political suspense books, but this one was really good. I was shocked multiple times throughout the story and was completely drawn in to the life of Michael Ford. The book starts at the end, just before the final con is played out and I like knowing that at some point in the book the obvious has to happen. 
 I was on the edge of my seat during the harrowing escapes that Mike is forced into. I thought he was a very good main character, smart, funny, and most of all he kept my attention through logic, I even understood most of the political and theft references. 
 I will most likely read whatever Matthew Quick writes in the future. I was told to read this book by a friend, and I am glad I did. I give this book 4 stars.  
Crusher
by Niall Leonard
The day Finn Maguire discovers his dad bludgeoned to death in a pool of blood, his dreary life is turned upside down. Prime suspect in his father's murder, Finn must race against time to clear his name and find out who hated his dad enough to kill him.
Scouring the sordid, brutal London underworld for answers, exposing dark family secrets, and facing danger at every turn, Finn is about to learn that it's the people you trust who can hit you the hardest. . .
"Crusher" is this year's most talked-about debut thriller.
 
 
~My Review~ 
This is a YA book, and truly a shocking read.  I listened as I drove, and the audio is brilliant.  The speaker is British, which is perfect since the book takes place in London. I have to say WOW this was an intense ride! It was very impressed, and even thought it had some fairly sad parts, it was a great read!  Finn makes me tense as he gets into very scary life-threatening situations throughout the book.  I was jumping back and forth to figure out who the killer was.  Finn is so narrow minded as to what happened to his dad, that he misses things just as the reader/listener does during the book.  That is the main reason I think this is so great, the author keeps you hooked even though you think that nothing good will come of it.  The ending is shocking and amazing.  
I was also shocked when I learned by reading the back cover that this is E.L.James' husband...just for the record I read and enjoyed the 50 shades trilogy, but personally her husband is a better writer!
  I give this book 5 stars.

1 comment: